Sunday, March 22, 2009

Conner

Conner is my first grandchild.(See Blessings post) It was so fitting that he was born on Valentine's Day. On the day he was born, all our hearts were filled with love and thanksgiving. He has me wrapped around his little finger, and he knows it! People told me that being a grandparent was the greatest joy in life. I never really understood the truth of that until I actually became one. Being a grandmother changes you. Your priorities change. Playing with Thomas the train and building an elaborate track is now much more important than reading a book or doing any type housework. A trip to a department store means first going to the children's section and then if there is any money left over, you might buy yourself a shirt or something.
No one bothered to tell me that along with the joys, the heart aches would also be intense. When Conner had to begin preschool and I realized someone other than a family member would be caring for him, I thought I was actually going to DIE. Since I'm writing this post that means I didn't, and yes, it was tough for a while. Now, I am thankful to the precious ladies who lovingly care for Conner and Charli Grace each day. They care for them as if they were their children and it shows in the way the children happily go to school and in the stories they share about their day.

No comments:

Post a Comment